Did you know that this Sunday 12th July is National Simplicity Sunday? Simplicity in our homes is a big factor in how we feel so I wanted to share some ideas on this topic.
1. Why Does Simplicity Matter?
I think it’s important to start with the Why? There is a lot of research that deals with the impact that our environment has on our well being. You only have to consider the popularity of movements such as Marie Kondo’s Spark Joy to understand that this is a topic that is of major importance to people. It is undoubtedly true that clutter and mess cause us to feel stressed and anxious even if we are not aware of it. It can be paperwork that we have put on one side but not got round to dealing with or surfaces that are full, whatever it is it can make us stressed or even incompetent.
2. The Concept Of Simplicity
So what does simplicity mean? I found a few definitions:-
1. the state, quality, or an instance of being simple.
2. freedom from complexity, intricacy, or division into parts
3. absence of luxury, pretentiousness, ornament, etc.
In terms of our interiors I think all of these apply. The space should feel uncluttered, calming, and you shouldn’t feel distracted by the decor or what is in the space. Imagine the experience of being in a spa or buddhist temple. You feel relaxed.
3. Tidy Up
The first action to take when creating a simple space is to tidy up. This includes decluttering but it extends to tidying up on a day to day basis. Little things like putting the dirty dishes in the dishwasher or washing them up, putting clothes away or in the laundry basket when we take them off, dealing with paperwork when it is received (even if that means putting it in an in tray to process later). The major benefit of this is that things remain manageable, they don’t get on top of you and you don’t end up with a major task on your hands. if you happen to be selling your property be aware that buyers will open wardrobes and cupboards.
4. Creating A Simple Living Space
Having tidied up now is the time to consider how to actually go about creating a simple living space. try these pointers
- Chose furniture with clean lines
- Don’t overfill the space
- Decorate in neutral colours
- Utilise storage and make it easy to keep the space tidy
5. Dressing Your Home For Simplicity
To talk about dressing a space may seem inconsistent with the concept of simplicity but it isn’t. You still want a room to have some personality. The key thing to remember is – less is more.
- Simple window treatments such as shutters and recessed roman blinds work well as window treatments. Ditch the swags and pelmets
- Choose plain frames for artwork or canvases. These can be used to add a splash of colour
- Opt for a single ornament or foliage plant
- Use textured fabric for cushions and throws rather than trimmings
- Linen bed linen adds a touch of luxury.
So Happy National Simplicity Sunday, enjoy the simple life! Busy? Lacking confidence in putting a scheme together? Contact me on 07745 876182 or e mail me on email@example.com for a free no obligation discussion.